As the social web has allowed us all to become publishers and marketers the importance of content for search and social media marketing has exploded.
This is driving another trend within that sector called visual content marketing.
The benefits of visual content marketing
Visual content has many benefits for a marketer:
- Increased engagement
- Improvements to SEO
- Accelerated sharing on social networks
- Increased brand awareness
- Sales growth
The power of visual content marketing
The Chief Operating Officer of Shuttlerock provided some hard numbers on the benefits to businesses with some of the facts and figures that they have seen when customers have optimized crowd sourced visual content.
- Increased customer’s email lists by over 44,000 new subscribers
- 23 million impressions on users friends Facebook timelines
- 57% growth in sales for a client in 12 months
- Another client had over 33,000 page visits to their photo page in just one month after running a photo competition
The numbers behind the growth of the visual web
Flickr was one of the pioneers of the visual web way back in 2002. Since then it has became stale and is now seeking to reinvent itself.
Competitors have emerged driven by the social web and includes Instagram, Pinterest and Vine. If we look at the global impact of these we get some rather staggering numbers.
- Pinterest debuted in May 2011
- Pinterest saw a growth of 1047% in unique visitors from 2011 to 2012
- Instagram started in 2010
- Instagram has 130 million users
- Instagram photos have 1 billion likes a day
- More than 16 billion photos are hosted through the service.See some more facts and figures below in the Infographic.