Marketers often exchange the terms demand generation (demand gen) for lead generation (lead gen), but they’re not the same strategies.
- Companies with dedicated sales teams can deploy both strategies simultaneously.
- The process may be very similar, and tactics may even be identical between the two strategies.For instance, I still may aggressively pursue search, social and PR strategies to build awareness and drive either demand or leads.I may develop an infographic or whitepaper that helps nurture a lead or encourage a purchase decision.
- If I’m attempting to generate leads, though, I may put more emphasis on the expertise of the company and how establishing a relationship between the two long-term would be great strategically.
- Success or measurement may differ between the two strategies, though.
- For demand generation, I may be more focused on the reach of my marketing and the resulting conversions.
- For lead generation, I may be more focused on the quantity of qualified sales leads.
The marketing team is just responsible for the quantity and quality of the leads handed off.
Source: Marketing Technology https://www.marketingtechblog.com/?p=51052